Sunday, February 12, 2017

Crashing

**Warning: mention of birth control**

When Mara was 8 weeks old, I got the Mirena IUD in.  It has been AWESOME!  Zero problems with it.  On January 23rd, I got it taken out after 2 years.  And since then, I've been miserable!

I actually thought I was pregnant, to the point where I even took a test (negative).  I'm nauseated, moody, exhausted and have absolutely no interest in food.  I can sleep for 8 hours straight and still can barely open my eyes in the morning.  I've been sick with fevers, sore throat, cough and headaches for the better part of three weeks now.  My hormones are ALL over the place.

I did a little research and I found that apparently there's a thing known as the "Mirena crash".  The way the Mirena works is that it secretes a synthetic form of progesterone (called progestin) which basically makes the uterus unsuitable for pregnancy by thinning the lining of it and increasing cervical mucous (yuck, right?).  When Mirena is removed, the body is still producing estrogen and progesterone, like normal, but it's gotten "lazy" and depends on Mirena for enough progesterone (or progestin).  At least that's how I understand it.  For a week or two, you're fine, and then BAM.  Your hormone level drops too low and you crash. 

Not all women experience the crash, some experience it for a short time, some for a long time or even multiple times!  For me, this has been going on for about 2 weeks.  

Typical symptoms of Mirena crash are:
-Fatigue
-Nausea, bloating, stomach pain
-Flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches)
-Mood swings
-Sadness, irritability, depression
-Breast tenderness

Sounds rather like pregnancy, doesn't it?  Fun times.

I'm hopeful that this will pass soon!  I taught 8 classes and did a mud/obstacle 5k this week and I am EXHAUSTED.

No comments:

Post a Comment