Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Vista - Again!

The haunting sight that met my eyes last January 22nd is something I'll never forget.  I'm not quite as traumatized now when the memory pops up (which it occasionally does) but it still sends a small shiver up my spine and causes my heart to beat just a little bit faster.

The thing now that bothers me is that it's been going on for so long and just now is something being done about it.  People had been lobbying for a barrier to be put up on the bridge to stop people from jumping (like nearly every other bridge in Portland has) but the historical society or whoever didn't want to do that because it would "mar the vintage beauty of the bridge" or some shit.  At least that's what I heard.  Personally I think nothing mars it more than a dead body all over the road beneath it, but hey, that's just my opinion and who cares what I think?  However, finally they agreed to put up a temporary barrier (after an emergency was declared) and put a permanent one up in about two years.  Finally!  But it still wasn't soon enough.

I just randomly came across an article dated August 12, 2013 (about a week ago) saying that yet another person jumped to his death from the Vista Bridge.  It was on Monday.  On Tuesday, they began putting up the temporary barrier.  The man who jumped on Monday was the FIFTH person to jump in 2013.  That's just awful!!!!  

A woman who is part of a volunteer organization to patrol the bridge for jumpers tried to save him, but she was unable.  In the article (kgw.com) she said, "it broke my heart."  I can imagine.  I literally just shuddered in my chair, because I know what the grizzly scene below the majestic bridge looked like.  It's an image burned into my brain forever.

I did go under the bridge on Monday, but thankfully I did not encounter this.  I know, I know... I should know better than to take that route to my therapist's office but it's the quickest way and I was running late.  (Hush, no one need comment on my sanity, thank you!)

Anyway... I'm glad a barrier is finally being put up.  It's a damn shame it was too late to save this guy.  And everyone else who jumped, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment