Thursday, December 5, 2013

Affirmations

Affirmations - by Savage Garden

I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do
I believe that beauty magazines promote low self-esteem
I believe I'm loved when I'm completely by myself, alone.

(Chorus)
I believe in karma, what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love til you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.

I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
I believe that trust us more important than monogamy
I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul
I believe that family is worth more than money or gold
I believe the struggle for financial freedom isn't fair
I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires

(Chorus)
I believe in karma, what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love til you've burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.

I believe forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness
I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed
I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists
I believe in love surviving death into eternity

(Chorus)
I believe in karma, what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love til you've burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.

Okay. Now... let me examine this piece by piece.  I randomly found this old CD in my car today and popped it in, and this is the first song on it.  I LOVE THIS SONG, may I just say!!!  
Verse 1:
Line 1)I disagree with the first thing.  Sometimes you just need to LET IT LIE and go to bed mad.  In the morning you wake up and things look better.  The more tired you get, the more irrational you get and the more tangled up things become.  So no... I don't agree with that.
Line 2)I sort of agree with the second line.  I think we give people too much control over our happiness (or our moods in general) but I think we also can't help it, to an extent!
Line 3) Yep!!! The stuff that makes junk food tastes so good is the stuff that's bad for you (MSG, sugar, fake sugar, etc.)
Line 4) Hmm! This is complicated!  I would say I agree with this mostly.  We all have skeletons in our closets but I think we come by our sh*t honestly and for the most part we do the best we can all the time
Line 5) YES! Accidentally, they do.  Or maybe no so accidentally!  If they make us feel bad, we'll buy product to try and remedy that... and more magazines! hmm..... scoundrels!
Line 6)  I have no idea.  If you love yourself, then sure. If you believe in God and believe He/She/It/They love you all the time, then sure.  But I really have no idea.

Chorus
Line 1) Oh man.  I really want to believe in karma soooooo bad.  But I'm not sure if I do.  I think things happen sometime and people call it karma, but it doesn't happen with enough regularity for me to believe it for sure.  I do believe that some people pay things back/forward, but that has more to do with the person than karma.
Line 2) This line makes sense... but I think more accurate would be to say, once you're burned you're afraid of "love" until you find "real" love and even then people might argue that there's no such thing.
Line 3)  Yes I agree.  The grass may look greener but it's a mirage.  Mile in the shoes... blah blah blah.
Line 4) Oh yes!!! So much yes!!!! 

Verse 2
Line 1) This is a hot topic if ever I heard one!  I think it's true, but there's so much controversy and shit about this that I'm not even going to touch it!!! But I'll tell you I PERSONALLY believe it is not a choice.
Line 2) What?  What is he even saying here??  I guess I'm not too keen on the idea of a man having 5 wives.  The concept of trust changes completely if you're a polygamist.  Just because I don't want to be in that lifestyle doesn't mean I think no one should if that's what they want.  But monogamous trust and polygamous trust are like apples and oranges.  What is this line even in here for?
Line 3) Weeeeellll...... I guess so.  Unless you're looking for models, then it doesn't really apply.  But I guess I would TWO of your most attractive features are your heart and soul.  You can have pretty eyes too Lol!
Line 4) This is kind of a poetic line. But I think I agree.  If you have your family, and you're poor.... at least you have love.  You can grow up with all the money in the world but if you don't have love then you're not happy.   And happiness is key.
Line 5) Oh god yes.  Especially with the Occupy movements recently.  It's not fair.  The poor keep getting poorer and the rich keep getting richer... But that being said..........
Line 6) I know some middle class people who disagree.  So no, millionaires are not the only ones.

Verse 3
Line 1)  If you agree with Verse 1, Line 2, then sure.  But I don't think it's THE key.  I think it's A key.  
Line 2) I can't say for sure what I think about this because I really don't understand it.  Being married invalidates the need to be naked?  What??  Sorry, I'm lost.  I guess I could say I agree with the fact that sometimes you get too comfortable being married and lose your sex drive... is that what they mean? 
Line 3) Yeah.  I don't think God would endorse anyone who shoves their beliefs down other people's throats.  Pretty sure that goes against a few commandments or something!
Line 4) Well... taking this literally, no.  In order for love to exist for real, there have to be people to house and create that emotion.  Eventually, the sun will burn out and humans will stop existing, and unless other creatures manage to survive the destruction of earth and everything, then love won't go on into eternity.  Unless of course Heaven exists and we all (almost all?) end up there, loving forever and ever.  However, I have a really hard time with the concept of eternity, so I'm not entirely sure whether or not I agree.  It's a nice idea, though, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment