Thursday, August 28, 2014

Parrot-Dise (Hello from Hawaii!)

The title of this post is the clever name of my very favorite business in all of Waikiki.  ParrotDise consists of this guy and his 6 parrots of varying types: 2 cockatoos (one Moluccan, one umbrella), 2 macaws (one blue & gold, one green wing), an orange winged Amazon and a male Solomon Island Eclectus (my favorite parrot).  He has this huge beach umbrella with perches sticking out of the pole, and he stands there right on Waikiki Beach and people pay to have their pictures taken with the parrots!  

My sister and I did it yesterday.  We stood in the hot sun, on the hot sand, in our bikinis with fabric leis around our necks and birds all over us, a camera snapping in our faces while beachgoers looked on from all around.  We must have stood there for 20 minutes straight!  The guy was hilarious and kept telling my sister to smile bigger.  "More teeth!" He would say.  He also mispronounced her name about 3,000 times, giving it a long A instead of a short A.  We stood there so long my cheeks hurt and I had bird claw marks on my wrist for the rest of the day!  Not that I minded.  You know how I feel about birds!  I love them, talons and all.

My anxiety has been at an all-time high these last few days.  Every ache, pain, twinge, drip or new sensation has me all worried.  In fact, I've been up at 5am both days we've been here because I'm too worried to sleep.  Is Mara moving?  When was the last time?  Is that cramping I feel?  Am I having a contraction?  How many is that in this hour?  Am I bleeding?  And so it goes.  I'm exhausted!!! I understand that stressing out is probably worse for Mara than anything I'm actually doing wrong, so I'm trying so hard to chill out and relax.  But it's so freaking hard!  

I just love this little baby so much, you know?  It's weird.  I haven't even met her.  I don't know anything about her.  She's a 2.5 lb stranger living in my middle right now.  But I love her so fiercely it scares me!  If anything happened to her, I would never get over it.  On the one hand, I love Hawaii and I'm so glad we're here.  On the other hand, I really just want to go home.  My anxiety seemed better at home.

On a similar but different note, HOLY CRAP the time is zooming by!!! It's already the end of August!  In just a few days it will be September.  That is totally nuts.  Today I counted, and it's only 86 days until my due date.  That's under 3 months!  Those numbers boggle my mind because I can remember so clearly the day those little plus signs changed everything in a nanosecond.

Actually, I was talking about that to someone the other day.  I can't remember who it was.... but the very instant I saw those plus signs, it was like... BAM!  Everything was so different.  Life changed in an instant.  It's not like I had to sit there and think to myself really hard about it, like

Okay, Kate.  Those are plus signs.  That means you're pregnant.  OMG!  What?? So what does this mean?  Well, if I'm growing a baby I guess it's going to need some nutrients.  Guess that means I have to actually eat.  And caffeine is bad for babies, right?  So no more energy drinks.  And diet coke.  Not good for babies either.  But what about Zumba?  Well they always say that whatever exercise you were already doing is fine to keep doing.... so I guess I'm good to go for that.  Just maybe not so many marathon sessions on the elliptical in the near future....

No.  It was just like all that knowledge, all the things I'd have to change right away, all the things that had to stop right away, all of that just came to my brain in the instant that it took me to process the sight before my eyes.  I can still vividly remember that day.  March 24th, 2014.  

God I'm so tired. It's only 10:40pm but I haven't really gotten on Hawaii time so that explains the fatigue.  Well, that and growing a baby!  Sheesh!  This little girl is hard work already - and she's not even born yet!!!  Oh well, I wouldn't undo it.  Not for anything.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you're having an awesome time in Hawaii. Don't stress too much, because you're right, it's not good for little Mara. If your doctor had any little glimmer of doubt about your health, she wouldn't have let you fly. I remember the day I found out. April 8th =) You're doing just fine, and she will be worth every ache and pain, I promise? =) Lots of Love.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete