Friday, May 11, 2018

Hawaii 2018 - Travel & Day 1

We've had this Hawaii trip planned pretty much since the summer ended.  The dates weren't  nailed down until sometime in March but we knew we were going.  My dad had managed to land a really good deal on our very favorite hotel, the only thing was it had to be used within 6 months of signing up for it.  So that meant we had to go before May 20th.  So on May 1st, my parents, my sister, Corky, the kids and I all loaded up and headed for paradise.

Traveling with a 5 month old is.... challenging.  Traveling with a 5 month old to a tropical destination is even more challenging because sunscreen isn't recommended until 6 months of age.  Initially I was bummed out when I saw that the weather forecast for Oahu was drizzly and cloudy, but when I thought about it that was actually a huge blessing!  I didn't have to keep Orion sequestered in the hotel room due to sun very much.  And, as it turned out, rain wasn't that big of an obstacle for two reasons.  One being that it didn't rain all that often and two being that we are from Oregon!  We didn't go all the way to Hawaii just to be deterred by (warm) rain!

Our flight was at 9:00am so it wasn't too bad.  Orion gets up early anyway so it wasn't as awful as it could've been.  Mara considered throwing a fit about being woken up but thought better of it when she remembered where it was we were headed!  Here are a few pictures from on the plane:

LOL their faces... Orion was yawning.  Not too sure what Corky's excuse is...???



Despite the flight crew warning us that it would be a bumpy ride, it was a fairly smooth flight.  Orion was a little fussy at times but nothing that a boob and a nap couldn't fix.  We landed in Honolulu at about 11:45am local time, effectively starting our day all over again.  

The hotel we stayed in is a huge resort on the beach.  The newest tower (built sometime between 2014 and now as it wasn't there the last time we were on the island) has basically little apartments.  It's actually a timeshare as well, and believe me the people are quick to remind you that if you sit through a 90 minute presentation, you can get up to $200 in cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You know they say it like that.)  Anyway, we had a 2 bedroom "room".  However, because we arrived so early, it wasn't ready for us yet.  Neither was my parents' room.  Unlike when we arrived in Amsterdam last summer, I did not lie down and sleep on the floor.  This time, we hit the arrival/departure lounge!  I dug Mara's swimsuit and floatie out of our suitcases before sending them off to be stored for us until our room was ready and  she and Corky took a dip in the infinity pool that I, sadly, did not get a photo of.  The rest of us bummed around the lounge, waiting.


Eventually our rooms were ready for us.  We quickly unpacked, changed clothes (or swimsuits in Mara's case) and headed for the beach!  We walked down to this rock pier a quarter of a mile or so away to look for crabs.  Mara is NOT a fan.  She did, however, enjoy walking in the waves and making sand angels! 
Corky wore Orion in the Baby Bjorn.  Orion really liked all the pigeons and doves walking around on the beach.  He would wave his arms and kick his legs whenever he saw them!  So cute.

Here we all are, minus my dad and me.

When we returned from our walk, I went for a run in the evening warmth. We went to the main restaurant on the resort for dinner.  Mara ordered pizza but fell asleep before it arrived.  Orion also had had enough, so I took him back to the room and Corky carried a sleeping Mara back not long after.

I can't remember how much of this I mentioned in a previous post (during BEDA perhaps?) and I'm not going to go read back now but we had been having lots of trouble with Orion's sleep.  Or should I say, lack of sleep.  I got him down in the crib they provided that night and he stayed there for about 30 minutes.  At that point he woke up wailing and Corky and I both tried unsuccessfully to get him back down to sleep in the crib.  Eventually, we gave up and pulled a mattress off one of the double beds in the bedroom and put it on the floor.  There Orion and I slept for the remainder of the nights.  I hate co-sleeping.. it makes me nervous and I swore I'd never do it but we HAVE to sleep.

Day 2 and onward coming soon! (Whenever I have time!)



No comments:

Post a Comment