Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Dress, Episode 3

I went in for my last dress fitting yesterday.  I was much calmer about it this time.  My mom was with me.  We were a few minutes early to the appointment so we went next door this shop called Hip Hound.  Basically it's a boutique for pets!  They had little bowties that Jax could wear for the wedding, and little skirts that Abby could wear.  I'm sure they would hate to wear them (well, Jax probably wouldn't care) but they'd look so damn cute.

Anyway, 12 o'clock came around and we went in.  The girl behind the desk saw me and immediately rushed off to grab Black Beauty (see previous dress posts for the explanation about this nickname for my dress.)  She hung it up in the dressing room with the silk curtains, as always.  I used the bathroom then came out, went in the dressing room, stripped, stepped into the dress, zipped it as far as I could reach and then asked for help.  It was like no big deal.  Been here, done this.  I'm really getting to the point where I can enter and exit gowns expeditiously.  

I shuffled out of the dressing room but I forgot my heels inside my purse.  My mom went to get them for me.  That's one thing I'm not great at yet, getting heels on and off while wearing the dress.  I puzzled over this dilemma momentarily before finally dropping the heels on the floor, lifting up the giant skirt of my dress, dropping the skirt over the heels and slipping my feet into them by sense of touch only.  It was like getting dressed by braille. It wasn't graceful, but I got into those shoes and tottered around in circles on the carpet so that "He" (the Cambodian man) could check the length of the dress.  I must have looked hilarious walking around that way because the girl from the desk, who was wearing ridiculously high heels herself, offered me a small lesson in how to walk in heels.  "Shoulders back, hips forward, point your toes," were her words of advice.  That helped!

"He" flitted about, tugging and pulling at the material of the dress.  He told me to pull my strapless bra up because it had fallen.  He was zipping and unzipping the back of the dress, and informed me that my bra was on too loosely and that's why it was slipping.  He asked permission to make it tighter.  I said sure, and chuckled because he clearly had no idea how to operate a bra (I suspect he's gay.)  

Undergarment issues aside, the dress fit pretty well.  He made a few little adjustments around the chest area (once my bra was in the right spot) and pinned a few things here and there.  All that's left is for them to put the boning in.  He told me to come back in a week or so and he would "teach me how to get into the dress."  His last words of advice to me before I left were, "don't gain weight!"  

I told him he didn't need to worry.

I just hope I'm right.

No comments:

Post a Comment