Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Memory From Mara's Birth

I was just reading my post "Mara Soleil (birth story)" and I suddenly had a memory come flooding back.

After Mara was born and they had weighed her, washed her, diapered her and put a little shirt on her, they took her off to get an IV in her hand because she needed antibiotics (as did I.)  Corky went with her.  My nurse, "Natalie" had to rush off to do something.  She told me she'd be back in about 10-15 minutes and that I should rest.  I couldn't really go anywhere because my legs were still numb from the epidural.  Natalie turned off the lights and left.

I remember laying my head back on the pillow and closing my eyes.  The quiet of the room was deafening.  There was no little "pew pew pew" of the machine monitoring Mara's heartbeat because she was no longer inside me.  I had been hearing that sound for the past 24 hours and now it wasn't there.  I remember feeling panicked for a second, and reminding myself that she was fine, she was just off getting an IV and that Corky was with her and she would be just fine.

I fell asleep.  Not surprising since I had been awake for 37 hours straight at that point.  When I woke up, I was still alone in the room.  I was in the dark.  It took me a little while to figure out where I was, what had happened, and why I couldn't move my legs at all!  I didn't know where Mara was, I didn't know where Corky was, I was all alone in the dark and stuck in bed.  Freaked me out for a sec!  Then I found my phone and went on facebook. LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Aww! I dont't think a baby should be separated from parents after birth like that! But it was necessary for her health and for you it was good to get that small bit of sleep. Still, it must have felt strange. But she's a fine little baby and you are a fine little mom :)
    Oh, I had my baby without an epidural but I still couldn't move around at all for a while, so no difference there, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They left her with me for about an hour after her birth, so she did get skin-to-skin right away! But yeah.. it was very disconcerting to wake up and find her gone! lol. OMG no epidural... you are a brave soul!

      Delete