Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blessing In Disguise

This post is going to pose a question.
It will be posed on the topic of eating disorders, but anyone can answer it using whatever hardship/disease/addiction/etc. you've faced in your lifetime.  Answer the question, if you want to, in the comments section below.  :)

I was laying on the couch just now, and my mind was wandering as it often does when I'm tired or zoning out.  Suddenly, a question jumped out at me:  If I could change anything about myself, what would it be?  The immediate answer that came to my head was "misophonia."  (See blog archives, post entitled "Misophonia" or simply google the word to find an explanation.)  

That answer surprised me a little.  One might think that the thing I would change would be my apparently chronic anorexia nervosa.  But no.  

Here are just a handful of things that would not have happened to me had I not developed my eating disorder:
-Finding Zumba
-Meeting my best friend Alena
-Meeting several other very good friends, many of whom I met directly because of my e.d.
-Knowing how it feels to stare death in the face
-Learning as much about nutrition as I have
-Meeting Corky
-Having the nanny job I have
-Meeting my amazing Naturopath
-Helping many other people with eating disorders

Many of those things stem from Zumba (i.e. my nanny job, my best friend Alena, several other friends) but let's face it, I never would have discovered Zumba at all if it weren't for my having an eating disorder!  I cannot imagine my life right now without Zumba, or Alena, or my other friends.  Not to mention my husband!!! I met him because I was working at a particular Starbucks, which I never would have worked at had I not had to move home because of my anorexia.  You see?

Some might say that fate would have brought Corky and me together as a couple.  Or brought Alena and me together as friends/soul sisters.  Or even brought me to Zumba.  It is possible.  But I am fairly certain that those things would have been harder to come by or accomplish if it weren't for my anorexia.

Actually... I owe a whole lot to my anorexia.  It's horrible and tough and scary and annoying.  But I can't deny that there's a whole lot in my life I'd be missing out on if it wasn't for this damn eating disorder.

What about you?  Would you go back and undo your eating disorder (or other thing?)  Would you get rid of it now, in a snap, if you could?

2 comments:

  1. No. My ED has given me the tools to be compassionate and help others with the same problem. it has made me a stronger and wiser person. I am now in school to become a therapist because of my eating disorder. I have been able to help countless people because of it. Yes it sucks, But I think in the end it will be for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope! I have thought about this. I wouldn't ever go back and not have an eating disorder. It's made me who I am and I have a lot of the friends I have and the life I have and the career path I've chosen BECAUSE of my eating disorder.

    ReplyDelete