Friday, January 9, 2015

If You're Happy and You Know It...

On Sunday (January 4th) Corky and I went on a date to the movies while his mom watched Mara.  While there, during the pre-movie "show", I saw the new WeightWatchers commercial.  I'm typing this from the blogger app on my phone so I can't insert a link like I would do in a regular post, but if you type in "weightwatchers commercial 2014" on YouTube you'll find it.  It's the spin-off of If You're Happy and You Know It.

When I saw that commercial, I was horrified.  I had a typical Kate-style reaction to it: it pissed me off!  In my defense, once it was over, Corky looked at me and said, "What the hell...?" Not only was it horrifying but it just went on and on and ON, or so it seemed!  It was really probably only a minute or so but it seemed like forever.  

Later on I texted my friend about it.  I told her to watch it and she did.  She found it distasteful to say the least!  In her mind it was mainly because it seems like WeightWatchers corporation is being a big bully.  Making fun of people who have emotional problems surrounding food.  People who emotional eat.  Which, by the way, is a precursor to (if not an entire) eating disorder!  NOT FUNNY GUYS!!! Your jingle may be catchy but it's flat out disrespectful!

Okay now... the million dollar question for me: WHY did I have a reaction like that? I don't really have a problem with "eating my feelings." More like NOT eating my feelings!  So why did I react so strongly?  It took me until the next morning to realize that it's because that commercial scared the shit out of me!!  It's a reminder that this IS something that happens to people and I'm "people" so it could happen to ME!  Losing control with food scares me more than anything in the world (except for something happening to my daughter or husband) and this commercial was a full 60+ seconds of reminder that this very thing happens to people ALL THE TIME and what makes me so special that I should be spared?  It definitely put me on guard. 

If you have seen the commercial, or if you watch it now, leave a comment and tell me what you think! 

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. You're not the first person I've heard outraged at the commercial. I watched it and I agree with your friend. They seem like a huge bully to overweight people or people who eat their feelings. It is pretty distasteful.

    ReplyDelete