Friday, April 13, 2018

BEDA Day 10 - Facebook

I know.. I know... it's April 13th and I haven't blogged since April 9th.  Not so great at BEDA this year, am I?  I don't have much of an excuse except that I have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a husband who require tons of attention every day and nights are long and full of "Mommy Mommy Mommy" and "waaaahhh!" so I don't always get around to blogging.  Usually my middle-of-the-night pumping session is when I'd blog but I haven't been doing it the last few nights because Orion has been nursing so much I haven't needed to.

So there you have it.  

Anyway, I'm playing catch-up now.  

On Tuesday, I posted this photo on Facebook along with this caption.
Sitting here in the parking lot of Target, with my baby son asleep in his car seat in the back. Another mom, child in tow, walked by and went to a car just in front of mine. She buckled her son into his seat and, as she went to get into her car, made eye contact with me through my windshield. Now.. I don’t profess to know what goes through other people’s minds usually, especially when they have a neutral expression on. But this woman did NOT have a neutral expression. She curled her upper lip and raised an eyebrow in a look that I can only describe as “judgy.” Maybe she was having a bad day. Maybe she just got some bad news. Maybe her child had been having a hard time this morning. I don’t know. But it caused me to stop and think, to wonder why she looked at me like that.

Now I’m not going to comment on what she looked like or anything because really it doesn’t mean anything. That’s actually the point of this post. But here I sit in my big, black SUV, with a U of O hat on, sipping coffee from a to-go cup. I look the part of a typical suburban mom. And guess what... I am a suburban mom. I’m a mom and I live in the suburbs. I have 2 kids, 2 dogs, a husband and I work part time. I have an iPhone and I go to the gym. Maybe she doesn’t have those things. Maybe she wants them. But she doesn’t know there’s more to the story.

I am wearing this hat because my hair is a wreck. I haven’t washed it in 3 days. I don’t have time. I hop in and out of the shower in 5 min because my kiddos need me.

I am drinking this coffee because my husband and I haven’t slept properly in.... I can’t even remember how long. I got it from a drive through because my son is FINALLY asleep and I want him to stay that way because he’s a super crab when he’s tired.

I drive this big SUV as economically as possible - always watching my MPG and trying to maximize it. I drove my first car for 8 years, my second car for 4 until my family outgrew it. I appreciate all that my car can do for my family.

I’m here at target to buy breastmilk storage bags because I ran out after donating over 100 ounces to a mama in need. A mama just like me, and like her.

I am not vain. I am a recovered anorexic who spends every day trying to get as far away from that mentality as possible so as to avoid accidentally screwing up my kids. I second guess myself all day long. Don’t judge me and add to it.

I have judged. But there is nothing like seeing yourself BEING judged to remind you not to judge others. I hope that lady has a really, really good day. Perhaps I should have offered her my coffee! It was still hot. ❤️❤️



Overall the response I got was great.  People seem to appreciate the openness and honesty and it seems as though a lot of people can relate to that feeling of being judged.  

Keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment