Thursday, March 7, 2013

Zumba Birthday

Tomorrow is March 8th, 2013.  One year ago tomorrow, on March 8th, 2012, I went to Diva Den in Tigard at 8:00 in the morning to get licensed to teach Zumba.  It was probably the best decision I've ever made.

One year ago tomorrow, I completed a full-day training that changed my life forever.  I will never be the me I was before March 8th of last year, and I couldn't be happier about that.  

The highlights of my first year of Zumba instructing include:
~Teaching alongside my teacher, C, at East Portland Community Center.  There still is almost no place I would rather be than teaching side-by-side with C, my first Zumba teacher.  She's my "Zumba Mommy."  
~Choreographing my first Zumba routine.  Thank you, Nicki Minaj.  "Starships" was the first song I ever choreographed all by myself.  To this day, I smile when I hear it on the radio.
~C tearing up when she first saw me leading Starships alone.  I know how she felt. When I saw my "Zumba baby" first lead a song on her own, I felt Mama-Birdish myself. 
~Attending 2 Jam Sessions with the fabulous MW!  MW is a well-known local Jammer and I am privileged to have been able to go to TWO of her Jam Sessions (one with another awesome Jammer MM!)
~Meeting one of my best friends, A.  You meet the most amazing people when you pursue what you're passionate about.  (Love you A! xo!)
~Dancing onstage with AC, doing Mamba Negra.  Mamba Negra is a song I took from C, who got it from AC, and I used it on almost every audition I've ever gone on.  At Zumba In The Park last August I met AC for the first time and told her that I do Mamba Negra a lot.  She invited me onto the stage to dance Mamba Negra with her.  I almost fainted!
~Going to the 2013 L.A. Zumba Instructor Conference.  Never in my life have I been so tired, but I wouldn't take it back for anything.  An amazing weekend.
~Meeting Beto, the creator of Zumba.  A and I joke that he's Zumba God.  Lol!
~Having people ask for me by name.
~Being told I make a difference.

I've come a long way in one year.  I've accomplished a lot.  I've learned a lot about myself and others.  I've met some amazing people and done some things that I never thought I could do.  

I'm ready for year #2.  Bring it on!

"When it doubt, tap it out!"
XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate! I am strongly considering signing up for a Zumba instructor training course. However, being unemployed, $225 is a LOT of money for me, and I can't risk it unless I am fairly certain I can find employment as a Zumba instructor once I get licensed. How does one go about finding a job after getting licensed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... what I did was start networking immediately. Make friends at your licensing. Keep in touch. MAKE SURE YOU JOIN ZIN!!!!!! It's a monthly payment but oh my gosh.. it is so worth it. You may lose money at the start, but that can happen in any business. See if there's a ZIN page for your city/town on facebook. Also you can look on Zumba.com for places looking for instructors. Turnover rate is high so it shouldn't be too long before you find one. Good luck!!!

      Delete