Friday, April 12, 2013

Fail-eo

Well!  Apparently Paleo is not for me.  After dragging my ass through 4 days of mostly-Paleo food (ok I cheated here and there) and experiencing random stabbing stomach pains in the middle of the night, extremely low energy levels (just when I thought they couldn't go any lower) and a complete inability to get enough calories in (didn't mind that part!) I have decided to do 80% Paleo instead.  I'll only break it with healthy stuff like oats and greek yogurt.  And maybe the occasional rice cake.  LOL!

School is going.... well, it's going.  There's been a little bit of a snafu with one of the books for one of my classes.  Basically what happened is this: PSU is kind of stupid when it comes to buying books.  If you go in the week directly before term starts, which would have been Spring Break week in this case, you can walk directly into the stacks and grab your own book, take it upstairs, pay for it, and you're done.  If you buy them during that week, they are returnable.  This means that if, for whatever reason, you decide not to take that class, you can return the book for most, if not all, of the money back.  Which is really good because those books cost an arm and a leg!  

However, I knew I was going to be really busy with work and appointments during the first 3 days of Spring Break week and then on Thursday of that week I was leaving for Las Vegas and not returning until late Sunday night.  Classes started Monday.  Well, Tuesday actually, but I didn't know that.  That's a whole other story though.  

So anyway, I went in the week prior to Spring Break to buy my books (well, book, actually.)  The thing about that week is that, for some reason that I don't understand, if you go too early to buy your books you can't walk in and pick your own.  You have to go to a desk, wait in line, tell the employee what class it is and the Prof's name, and they go grab the book(s) for you.  Then, as you would normally do, you take the book upstairs, pay, and you're gone.

Well.... I did that.  The lady grabbed the book for me, I went upstairs and paid.  The guy at the checkout counter told me that, because I was buying the book that week instead of next week that I would not be allowed to return the book.  He said that if I just waited til next Monday, I could rent it (for $20 less) or buy it and be allowed to return it.  I was in a hurry and didn't know if I'd have a chance to come back the following week.  The book was $84, which is not the most I've ever paid for a book.  I figured I'd just sell it back at Buybacks at the end of term and be done with it.  I definitely don't understand that policy.

Fast forward to the first or second class period.  The Professor holds up a textbook with a cover different than the one I have and says, "this is your textbook for this class.  It is imperative you have the seventh edition."  I look at my book cover.  6th Edition.  Great.  

Long story short, I asked the Prof if the 6th edition would cut it, and I explained what happened.  She said that no, the 6th edition would not be sufficient and I should buy the 7th.  I explained that the Bookstore wouldn't take back my book.  She didn't care about that.  In the end, Corky called the bookstore and set them straight.  So my mom and I went down there this morning and, after some more balking on the part of the bookstore manager, got the book exchanged and I paid the difference.  Whew.

So.  About Paleo.  I really wanted to lose weight.  I don't think I did.  I was supposed to weigh this morning but I chickened out.  Well, I sort of chickened out.  I got on the scale but I didn't look at the number.  Corky did, and I said, "is it very far off of where I should be?" and he said it wasn't.  So maybe, if I'm really good today, I can get on the scale tomorrow and see.  

I'm at 137.5 calories for the day so far. and it's 12:20pm.  I'm currently drinking a green tea (w/ splenda) and I might have some baby carrots in a few minutes.  I also might go buy rice cakes and yogurt.  Maybe Paleo just isn't for me at all.  Maybe what I should take away from this Paleo experience is that celery tastes pretty damn good and is only 4 calories per ounce.  I can increase my fruit and veggie intake without drastically increasing my caloric intake.  Those are valuable lessons too.  I can put good stuff in my body.  Almond milk, with it's fat calories (low as they may be) won't kill me.  In fact, I prefer my coffee with almond milk over regular milk.  It just tastes better.  I don't have to live off rice cakes and yogurt and oatmeal.  

Paleo was a fail, but not a total loss.  Silver linings, you guys.  I got this. 

Happy Friday!!!  I will leave you with some random pictures (like I do.)
New blonde hair (it looks red in this pic)

Better lighting

LOL, my school......


This kind of stuff cracks me up.  Why do they even bother? It's WATER!!!


Speaking of water...

OMG THE POOR THING!

No comments:

Post a Comment