Sunday, April 7, 2013

Twelve

Once upon a time, there was an Orphaned Princess.  Well, she wasn't actually orphaned but she thought that sounded more romantic than just "given up by mom."  She lived in a rather large house-turned-orphanage, but had to share the space with three semi-evil step-siblings of indeterminate gender.  

The step-siblings were not actually step-siblings, they were regular siblings, but the Princess had decided they were actually step-siblings because that's how this sort of story should go.  The semi-evil step-siblings (hereafter referred to as SESS's) would pick on the poor Princess, constantly damaging her beautiful outerwear.

The Princess knew she was destined for better than this.  She waited patiently for a fairy Godmother, a Genie-in-a-lamp, a magic wand... anything!  But days came and went, and the Princess was still waiting.

One day, a beautiful woman came to the orphanage with her daughter.  The woman had long, flowing, golden hair and wore expensive clothes and jewelry.  The daughter looked like a miniature version of her mother, dressed almost entirely in pink.  The Princess's eyes widened.  This is it! She thought.  Surely they are here to take me home with them!  Pink is my very favorite color.  I'm sure they live in a beautiful castle and have maids and butlers and fountains in every room!

It may very well have been the case that the woman and her daughter lived in a castle with maids and butlers and fountains.  But alas, the Princess would not find out.  The woman and her daughter glanced over the Princess and her SESS's, sitting nicely, waiting, and selected SESS #1 to go home with them.  Fine, thought the Princess, that woman had kind of a snaggletooth anyway.

A few days later, an older man and his wife came to the orphanage.  Their precious little one had just passed away at age 17 and they were missing him desperately.  They look sweet, the Princess mused.  I will take very good care of them.  How could they resist me? I'm a Princess after all!

But alas, the man and his wife chose SESS #2 to come home with them.  The Princess couldn't understand it.  

"She looks so raggedy," the man said to his wife when looking at the Princess.  

Finally, the Princess understood.  Her SESS's had picked on her so that her beautiful outfit was tattered and torn.  No one will ever want to take me home now, thought the Princess dejectedly.  I'm raggedy.  Nobody wants a raggedy, tattery Princess.

When a young, motherly looking woman came in the following day, the Princess didn't even look up.  She won't want me, she mumbled to herself.  Sure enough, the woman chose SESS #3.  Figures. Thought the Princess.  I'll be here alone forever!

Hours turned into days and the Princess sat by herself in her empty orphanage.  She played with bits of paper and crumbs on the ground.  She was lonely and bored.  Picking at her tattered yellow dress, the Princess thought, why oh why did my SESS's have to pick on me?  I know I'm the smallest but that wasn't fair.  Now I'll never get a forever home, just because they made me look raggedy!  Oh, I hate them!

Just as those words were running through the Princess's mind, a young girl came by the orphanage with her mother.

"Oh, look Mom!" the girl exclaimed, and ran over to the Princess.  The Princess's head perked up.  Me?  Are you talking to ME?

"Hi!  What's your name?  My name is Kate... I am going to save you.  What happened to your tail?"

She's here! Cried the Princess to nobody in particular.  My family is here! At last!  At long, long last!

Kate needed $90 to take the Princess home.  "Mom, I'll mow the lawn and do yardwork... Please let me take her home!"  Fortunately, Kate's mom agreed and told Kate that when she earned the $90, she could come back and take home the Princess.

"Don't worry," Kate whispered to the Princess.  "I'll be back before you know it."

And she was.  The very next day, Kate rushed back to the orphanage with $90 in her hand.  "I'm back!" she called to the Princess.  "I'm here to take you home!  Wait till you see your new sister.  Her name is Luckie and you're just going to love her!"

The Princess was taken aback.  A sister?  What if this "Luckie" was another SESS?  But the Princess was just so happy to be wanted that she didn't think too much about this new development.

The kind man who owned the orphanage took Kate's $90, placed the Princess in a comfortable carriage, and the two of them exited the orphanage into the bright May afternoon.  In the car, Kate introduced the Princess to her mother.  

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Kate's mother told the Princess.  The Princess could only smile with excitement and gratitude in return.

When the Princess first saw her new home, she couldn't believe it.  It was huge.  This really IS like a castle! thought the Princess incredulously.  They don't look like royalty, but what do I know?

Kate brought the Princess in to meet her new sister.  

"Luck, here's your new sister," Kate said, opening the door for the Princess.  "I know you were lonely."

The Princess was delighted.  Luckie didn't look like an SESS.  She was very neat and tidy looking, bright-eyed and friendly.  "Hi!" she chirped, bird-like.  "I'm Luckie!  What's your name?"

"Um...." the Princess faltered.  What IS my name?

Kate spoke up, as if she could understand Luckie's query, "her name is Bijou.  Don't worry about your tail and feathers, they'll grow back in just fine.  Welcome home, sweet Bijou.  We love you so much."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=







12 years later, April 8, 2013, Bijou turns 12 years old.  Luckie, in heaven, is her guardian angel I'm sure.  I will never forget the day I met Bijou.  She's changed my life in a million ways.  Given me a reason to smile when I'm sad.  A reason to laugh when I can't remember how.  She's been the starter of many a conversation.  

I can't imagine life without her.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, I love this. Happy hatchday, Bijou! And beakie grindings from Max.

    ReplyDelete