Thursday, May 2, 2013

Disturbing!

Warning!!! This post contains a video link, the subject matter of which may be disturbing to some viewers.  Discretion advised.

If you dare, go here and watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_577819&feature=iv&src_vid=icfVsql38oc&v=J5gzm0kt4OU

Well... those of you that saw this on the news/internet/wherever, you all had to know I'd do an entry on this.  After I recovered from the shock of having seen it, that is!  Obviously I didn't see it in person but... still!  It's a shocking video, is it not?

My dad's reaction to the video: "Those poor people!"
My sister's reaction to the video: "How many people were on board?"
My mom's reaction to the video: "That's awful! How scary!"
My reaction to the video: "What the heck kind of configuration were they trying to take off in?"

....what?

I think there's a disconnect in my brain somewhere.  I understand that there were 7 people aboard that 747 and that they perished in that incident.  It is sad!  It really is!  You've got to believe me that I find it sad.  Those people all had families, friends, people that loved and cared (and still do) about them.  It's just that I am so removed from emotion sometimes that I saw it for what it literally LOOKED like... an airplane falling to the ground.

My mom, dad and sister watched the video and saw an airplane falling to the ground and killing people.  I saw an airplane engaging in an act that it should never engage in.  Airplanes are meant to go up and down, but not like that.

I saw the airplane take off, pitch upward at an angle I couldn't comprehend, stall, and traverse downward like a falling leaf and smash into the ground, creating a huge inferno.  They never even got their landing gear all the way up.  

Most people ask, "why?"
I ask, "how?"

What happened inside that aircraft that caused it to behave in such a way?  That is not normal airplane behavior!  Was there an error?  Foul play?  Was it too heavy?  What happened?  The NTSB will tell us eventually.  Until then... we'll wait.  And mourn.  7 lives were lost.  7 lives and a beautiful machine.  

Rest In Peace National Air Cargo.  

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't get the video to play but I think you we're referring to the military 747 that went down. I have heard them say that the chains on heavy cargo snapped sending it to the back of the plane. Thus moving the planes center of gravity to far back causing the nose of the plane to pitch up into a unrecoverable stall. That's what I've heard anyway.

    ReplyDelete