Tuesday, April 19, 2016

BEDA Day 19 - Astoria Nostalgic

A year ago today we were in Astoria, Oregon.  The weather was insanely beautiful (as it is today.. hmm.. maybe April 18-19 is a good time to go to the beach!) and we had such a great time!  It was Mara's first road trip and she did great in the car.

I love Astoria.  It's a cute little fishing town and the houses are big and old and awesome.  They did have an issue with sea lions although I actually liked them.  They would all pile up onto these docks on the Columbia River side of Astoria (because Astoria is at the corner of Oregon where the Columbia meets the Pacific) and bark and flop around and sun themselves.  They were really funny to watch!

Well, I guess they were a nuisance for people and there were many attempts made to get the sea lions out of there.  They tried using a big fake Orca whale, to no avail.  They tried several other things that I can't remember off the top of my head, but apparently the latest attempt is working: Wind Dancers.

Yes, those Wind Sock Men that usually stand outside car dealerships and wave their whole bodies in weird, jerky, upward movements.  I have to admit I cracked up laughing at the image of the sea lions scattering in fear of the neon windsock people.  How they came to the idea of using those to scare off the sea lions I do not know, but it's a pretty funny idea.  Problem solving at its finest!


No comments:

Post a Comment