Wednesday, April 1, 2015

109

Dear Grandpa,

Today you would have turned 109.  Even though you left us when I was only 6 months old, I still miss you.  I know you weren't super comfortable holding babies but I know you loved me, so it doesn't matter. I'm sorry I cried when you tried to hold me!  I didn't know any better. 

Now that I'm almost 28 and have a daughter of my own, I understand the importance ofgrandparents.  My dad must've been so sad when you passed away because that meant you wouldn't know his children (however many he ended up having. He was right - you never met my sister.) I'm so glad that my parents are around and live close by, and Corky's family too, so that Mara can know her grandparents and aunt and uncle.  I hope she'll know you too, in some way. I think she already does. 

When I was a baby, you called me blischedekeh agen (shining eyes). I wonder what nickname you would call Mara?  Grandma called me Ketzaleh (little cat) and my dad called Mara Maraleh the other day, which reminded him of "merreleh" (little carrot) so maybe that will be it. 

We might be going to Israel sometime, perhaps later this year or early next.  Ruth and Lova called and talked to my dad, so we might plan a big family trip.  I'll be sure to try and visit uncle Shmuel's grave and put a pebble there. I'll put an extra one for you. 

I miss you Grandpa.  Would you mind very much paying me a visit soon?  I haven't see you in a while. Pop in and say hello to Merreleh too. I'm sure she'll give you a big, toothless grin.  I'm sure she loves you, too.

Love, 
Me 

1 comment: