Thursday, April 9, 2015

BEDA (Day 9) - Donate

The other day I applied to donate my breast milk.  I make tons, and clearly it's good quality (since Mara is growing like crazy) so why not donate some of it?  

Yesterday, I received an email stating that they had reviewed my application but couldn't use me as a donor because I take fish oil and fenugreek, and not enough studies had been done to know for sure how those supplements affected preemies and NICU babies.  I was like, really?  I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't use any drugs, I'm almost never sick, I've never been to Africa, I have no allergies, and you deny my breast milk because I take fish oil and fenugreek??  Fenugreek is FOR lactation! It's a seed!!!  And you mean to tell me no studies have been done to show whether or not fish oil is good for a developing baby?  That's just crazy.

At any rate, they don't want my breast milk.  Which, like I mentioned just above, I think is crazy.  I posted on facebook, saying as much, and one of my friends read it.  She's pregnant and due in July with a baby girl.  She said that she would be super appreciative if I would donate privately to her since she is unable to breastfeed for medical reasons.  Her son, who is now 4, survived on donated breast milk for the first 10 months of his life.  She said she would be grateful for anything I could give her.

Here's the crazy part: I said "sure!"

No hesitation.
No doubts.
No question.
Just, "sure!"

Am I insane??  Possibly!  I've been saying all this time how I kind of can't wait to quit nursing because I don't want to eat anymore, but here I am, now agreeing to supply as much breast milk as I can for another little baby.  Not MY baby, but a baby still!  How could I have the ability to help and then not do it?  This little baby is a girl, just like Mara.  How could I not help her?  If I was unable to breastfeed Mara for some reason, wouldn't I wish some caring person would come forward and be willing and able to help me feed her the very best, most nutritious food I could possibly feed her?  Of course I would.  So how could I not BE that caring person for someone else when I'm able?

Let's pretend for a second that I believe in God (not saying I don't, just saying I'm not 100% sure what to call what/who I believe in, so we'll just say God for simplification purposes).  God gave me a healthy baby girl.  God gave me a body that, with my help of course, produces really great, high-octane breast milk.  My healthy, growing girl is proof of this.  Not only that, but God gave me a body that makes a surplus of said high-octane milk!  Knowing what I know, this is a call to help.  There is almost no reason that things should have gone as smoothly for me as they have (knock on wood), given what all my doctors always said.  God blessed me with a mostly smooth, very healthy pregnancy and the best daughter I could ever dream of.  I owe it to God and the world to help out when I can.  I can pay it forward that much.  It's the least I can do.

So I'll be continuing to keep my supply up and help my friend build her freezer stash before the baby is born sometime in July (a good month.  My birthday is in July too!).  Mara will be 8 months old in July.  Wow. That's crazy to imagine!  Little bug is growing up so fast!
Baby's first ponytail :)
4.8.15

1 comment:

  1. I used to have a pastor say "you're blessed to be a blessing" or something like that. Sounds like that's you. :0)

    ReplyDelete