Friday, April 17, 2015

BEDA (Day 17) - Homeless

Because we weren't already underslept enough.....
This morning at about 12:45am, I was ripped out of sleep by an awful, shrill, piercing alarm and a voice saying "Fire!  Fire!"  I flew out of bed and ran down the hall to Mara's room, Corky right behind me.  Just as I reached Mara's room, the alarm stopped.  Corky searched the whole house but found no fire.  Ten minutes later, Mara was just about asleep and it went off again.  This happened twice more and then, the last time, the carbon monoxide detector went off too.  I had had enough.  We threw some extra diapers in the diaper bag, I grabbed the breast pump, my purse and the dogs, we loaded up Mara and drove off to find a hotel at 1:50am.

Well, of course that couldn't be easy either!  Columbia Sportswear, which is based here, is having a huge event this weekend so naturally every single hotel in the area is booked solid.  Not one room available anywhere except the crappy motels (and frankly i would rather sleep in the car!)

Fortunately for us, my parents and my sister are in Las Vegas for the weekend so their house is empty... and I have a key! I called them at 2 o'clock in the morning. My poor mom could hardly understand what I was saying.   So anyway here we are.  This will be weird because I haven't spent a night here since I moved out for the last time in 2009. 

The fire alarm is one thing.  You go look everywhere and if there's no fire then there's no fire.  You can see, smell and feel fire.  Carbon monoxide has no smell and no taste.  You can't see it.  I couldn't risk it; we had to leave. 

Corky is attempting to get Mara to sleep on this little makeshift bed I made for her on the floor.  I'm sitting at the kitchen table pumping.  The dogs are running around maniacally, sniffing everything.  My mom's dog, Bettina, is at a kennel for the weekend.  I laughed imagining how weirded out she'll be to come home and smell Abby and Jax on everything here.

As we drove away from our house, I had a fleeting afterthought. Damn, I mused. I forgot to turn off the timer on the coffee pot.  Oh well. At least we'll have coffee when we get home!  Who do you call about this sort of thing?? I don't even know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment